Yakima, WA – The Yakima Valley Visitors and Convention Bureau (VCB) released its 2010 Annual Report today. Preliminary figures show that visitors spent an estimated $331 million in Yakima County in 2010, an increase of 7% over 2009.
Highlights of the VCB’s accomplishments in 2010:
- Added a nearly 7,000 square-foot Outdoor Plaza to the Yakima Convention Center, funded through the Washington State Capital Budget for the Downtown Futures Initiative Phase IV.
- Through lodging tax support from Yakima County, the VCB completed a series of interior improvements to the Convention Center including new carpeting, improved restrooms, sound equipment and other amenities.
- The Convention Center hosted more than 128,012 visitors during 488 event days and brought more than $7 million in spending to the local economy in 2010.
- Future conventions and groups confirmed in 2010 were up 9% compared to 2009. Staff generated 170 leads for group business. Despite the economy, actual convention/group room nights utilized were up 15% compared to 2009.
- Due to strategic advertising efforts including print media, seasonal or themed micro websites and online promotions, traffic to the VCB’s consumer website www.visityakimavalley.org increased 30%.
- The Yakima Valley Visitor Information Center served 16,487 visitors and responded to 11,525 people via online and mail.
- Efforts of the VCB and their partners resulted in $303,800 of media exposure in 60 publications/media outlets with a combined readership exceeding 22 million. Media included the Los Angeles Times, Sunset Travel Guide and TravelAge West.
- The VCB actively courts and supports amateur sporting events through its Sports Commission. The economic impact of sports tourism in the Yakima Valley was an estimated $31.4 million in 2010 and the number of sporting events held last year was 328.
- A record 336 teams and 1,460 players participated in the Sports Commission’s Hot Shots 3-on-3 Basketball Tourney held on 28 courts in the streets of downtown Yakima in August.
To view the complete report click here.