NEWTON, Mass. — November 8, 2011
TripAdvisor®, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual travel trends survey of more than 2,700 U.S. travelers. Despite the current economic climate, 31 percent anticipate they will spend more on leisure travel next year, while 49 percent expect to spend the same amount as they did in 2011.
Seventy-nine percent of respondents plan to spend a minimum of $3,000 on vacations in the coming year, 57 percent will pay out at least $5,000 and 21 percent will invest $10,000 or more on 2012 leisure travel.
Ninety percent of respondents are planning to take two or more leisure trips next year, and 24 percent are planning five or more getaways.
Beach Bums and Culture Vultures: Top Trip Picks Travelers are Planning for 2012
- Beach trip – 44%
- Cultural trip (e.g., visiting museums or historic sites) – 42%
- Road trip – 40%
- City trip – 36%
- Guys or girlfriends getaway – 24%
Trip-o-Meter: Culture, Cruising and Castaway Experiences on the Rise in 2012
|Took in 2011||Planning to take in 2012|
|Amusement/theme park trips||14%||12%|
Lodging Barometer: Travelers’ Accommodation Picks for 2012
|Stayed in 2011||Planning to stay in 2012|
|Staying with friends/family||45%||43%|
Mobile Devices: A “Go To” Travel Resource in 2012
- 44 percent of U.S. travelers plan on using their mobile phone or smartphone more as a travel resource during trips in 2012.
- 47 percent expect to use their mobile device for their travel needs at their destination.
- 37 percent will use a mobile device for restaurants research, 27 percent will use one for attractions research, and 26 percent will use one for accommodations research.
- 31 percent plan to use travel apps on their mobile device or smartphone in 2012.
- 16 percent plan to use travel apps on their tablet devices.
Top Eco-friendly Travel Actions for 2012
- Participating in a hotel’s linen or towel re-use program – 71%
- Switching off the air-conditioning or heat when leaving the hotel room – 51%
- Select a hotel specifically for its “green” or environmentally-conscious credentials – 12%
“U.S. travelers will be spreading their wings far and wide in 2012, with 68 percent planning international trips,” said Karen Drake, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor. “Sun and sand remain an enduringly popular choice, but the coming year will also see a renewed interest in cultural trips, as Americans seek to combine precious downtime with enriching experiences.”
TripAdvisor® is the world’s largest travel site, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features (including Flights search, TripAdvisor Mobile and Instant Personalization) with seamless links to booking tools.